Monday, January 25, 2010

Update on Haiti, Life & More

I'm on a plane between San Diego and San Francisco as I'm typing this blog. (side note – everyone should fly Virgin America – they have outlets and wifi) With all the chaos in Haiti, I'm not sure where the month of January has gone. It feels like just yesterday I was leaving Charlotte, NC to come spend the month with a family I love here in San Francisco, California. Even in the midst of tragedy in Haiti and trying to raise funds and bring awareness the Lord has been gracious and allowed me to see this state and many people I love and care about. California is by far one of the most gorgeous states I have ever spent time in. I have seen everything from Tahoe down to San Diego, it is unreal...the mountains and the beach in one and sometimes even on the same road. In my opinion, everyone should drive the Pacific Coastal Highway before they die. Road trip anyone?!?

Anyways, I wanted to give a brief update on Canaan and share some updates on my life as well. The funds continue to come in and people are literally stepping up all over the country. Schools and youth groups are adopting Canaan and it's awesome. PRAISE GOD. A second medical team arrived a few days ago to relieve the first and more medical trips are being planned. PRAISE GOD. There is still so much need, so if you feel led, please continue to give here at http://canaaanorphanage.org. At this time, we are not taking teams, however if you join Pray For Haiti & Canaan Orphanage on Facebook or email me, we will continue to keep you in the loop. If Spirit is flying in 5 weeks, I still intend to go with the Dental Team from February 28th-March 4th. Please continue to pray, that is the most important way you can help, no matter where you are. God is doing great things at this place and I know He will use it to be a light in this time. (The women pictured on the right I met in Cambodia on The World Race, while serving with Water of Life...it was a blessing to see them here in California.)

Also, I wanted to share briefly about a trip I will be taking to Swaziland, Africa from February 15th-24th. It is a vision trip working with the Nsoko Project, which you can read more about here. Adventures in Mission is partnering with Children's HopeChest, also an amazing ministry. I'm very excited about this opportunity God has given me and the funds were provided through excess from my World Race account. PRAISE GOD. Here are some stats about Swaziland to get your heart moving in prayer and compassion for the people I will be spending time with in 3 weeks: 1) Life expectancy is only 30 years. 2) 15 year olds have less than a 10% chance of living to age 35. 3) More than 50% of the population lives on about 28 cents a day. 4) Half of the country's population is under the age of 15. 5) In some parts of the country, 80% test positive for HIV. 6) According to UN statistics, the entire country will cease to exist by 2050.
Cease to exist by 2050...that is ABSOLUTELY mind boggling to me. If the world hasn't ceased to exist by then I will be 70 and still alive and Swaziland will be gone. CRAZY. Please cover this trip in prayer as well as my remaining time in CA, my move to NJ and my precious friends in Haiti at Canaan Orphanage. Thank you to all of you that have given above and beyond in the last 2 weeks to me personally and to Canaan. Your money will be used wisely, with discernment and will bring healing to a hurting nation. I'm thankful for you all.

(Pictures - One of my favorite people, Jerah, in Coronado, Skiing at Squaw Valley, Lake Tahoe and sunset on Laguna Beach after our drive down the PCH)

No comments:

Post a Comment